Friday, February 26, 2010
Setteling in nicely
I didn't write an update last week, for no reason in particular except that everything is going great with Lou. Our routine lately has consisted of two or three days a week being hauled to the arena and working transitions and circles there. In addition to being worked, she is also gaining experience getting off the place, being trailered, and standing at the trailer. All of which she is becoming a pro at. She is now standing to be saddled rather nicely and that makes me feel good. The rest of the time is spent here at the place riding out for an hour or more. During our rides I make it a point to work on several things as well as just let her travel relaxed, such as opening and closing gates, lateral movement, steering around brush, etc. She knows the gate well now and stands to hook and unhook the chain and will open it both, pulling it towards her and pushing it away. We are very far from perfect on this but it is not about opening the gate it is about putting together all the pieces to open it, and we have that. She will stand by the gate and that is when she starts playing with the bit in her mouth. She stands nice but she is ready to get going. When we are traveling she travels relaxed for the most part. She is very aware of things and every so often she will trot past something that makes her nervous. I simply slow her down and return past the object. Generally the second time by she walks nervously and shying past it and on the third she is relaxed. I have total faith in her and if I had a riding job and some good miles to put on her I feel that we would be just fine as long as I kept her doing something because I think that is really whats, to be doing something. I try to always have something to try to teach her or show her and she tries very hard to figure it out. Her circles are becoming very light and solid and her transitions are about as good as they could be without a walking lope departure and I wont worry about that for quite some time. In loping she carries her head a little higher than my preference is but she is relaxed and smooth and I feel that is the most important thing at this point, where she naturally carries her head doesn't bother me too much. As good as she is doing I still see the tenacity that makes her heir to the champions, and I like it. She still paces in her pen and I wish she wouldn't but as more horses arrive I will put one of my horses in with her and if I had I dime to bet I would say that she would stop. All is great I am really getting along with this mare. Thank you and God Bless.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment