Sunday, February 14, 2010

Out and about

Another wonderful week on Lou. This week I raised the bar for her just slightly. After a great beginning here at home I decided she might be ready to travel. The very next day I hauled her and Electra to "Lasting Partnerships Training Facility" (front range equine rescue) to do some arena work. After standing at the trailer for a few hours while I was working some horses at the rescue she let me saddle her standing right there at the trailer. She still does move around some but she is doing a lot better about that, and I simply am not making a deal out of it any more. If she seems like she is getting worse about it I will start work on that part again. However, the way she is right now, I have seen broke horses that don't stand to be saddled as well as she does. I took her right to the arena after tacking up and lunged her around a couple times in order to let her see the arena, (relaxed). I know that she had been ridden out and in arenas before, but always being in a new place could make a young horse nervous and I have backed way up for her before progressing forward. I got right on and went to work. She did great! I was mostly working on transitions and being soft in the bit, her transitions were perfect going up, and coming down I only had to take a light feel. Not to bad for a hot shot horse that is bred to go forward fast. She isn't quite as soft laterally as I would like her to be with the bit, but she is catching on fast. She is showing a natural want, to flex vertically which is a great thing. However, I am not going to work at this for quite some time yet, but it is good to know that when I need it, it is waiting on the serf ice to be developed. After a couple sessions at the arena I feel very confident in her loping and trotting circles and straight lines. She still needs to be held into both, but there is no resistance and as long as she is doing something she is very willing to learn and relax. At home the rest of the week I just rode her out around the place. However more than our little trips around the pasture I took her to get her some experience and exposure. I must say that although she is responsive and well mannered she is on full alert and shies away from objects(mail boxes, ranch signs, jack rabbits wearing slickers holding umbrellas, usual stuff). I just go with her and don't make much of a fuss about it. I do take her back past things that she really hates but for the most part I let her sort things out on her own. She is also learning to work the gate, she understands to come off the pressure and she is no longer scared of the gate coming toward her but standing still by the gate is (or at all when we are out) is some what of a big deal for her. Once again I don't take this to heart too much, she is simply nervous and feels like she needs to move her feet to feel secure. So, all in all, it was another great week. I look forward to next week being full of more progress and even longer rides with just her and I. I feel that she is ready for some good long rides and some wet saddle pads. Thank you and God Bless, BW

No comments:

Post a Comment